Sunday, October 26, 2008

Lately




Here's a new way to make a fruit platter.


Here's a new way to present a traditional Fall cheese tray. Find a cookie cutter in your favorite leaf shape and start cutting.


I made calzones from scratch. I made the Italian sausage, sauce, dough, the works. I'll post the dough recipe. It's very simple.


I carved ice, with chain saws and chisels and everything.


Here's what I carved, a leaf and acorn.


We re-tiled the laundry room floor, which was also covered with carpet.


Because this is what we found, mold!


I busted out my Wizard of Oz nutcrackers so I could introduce the wonderful world to my niece and nephew.

And now for the main event...

I had my Garde Manger final. Garde Manger is the section of the kitchen that makes hor dourves, salads, and sandwiches. We were each in charge of a table of appetizers for the presidential scholarship ball at UVU. I chose to do salmon. Here are some pictures of what I made.


Smoked Salmon Platter


The three sauces I made from scratch: Tartar Sauce, Remoulade Sauce, and Cocktail Sauce.


My show platter. I baked the salmon whole, skinned the front half and layed thinly sliced cucumbers for scales. It's not necessarily how I'd present the fish for a party at home, ya know, fish staring you in the face, but the effect is neat.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my gosh! You amaze me! What great talent! Alison said yesterday, "mom, when is Tanya and that boy coming back"? It was too cute! Are you going to mom's for Thanksgiving? We are!

Adam and Cristina Smith said...

Those look awesome!!

Melissa said...

I'm hungry and amazed. Sophia just told me today that she has so much fun with you. Can't wait to see you at Christmas.

Amelia Merritt said...

Hey, I recognize that mold! I have that, too! Our spores should get together sometime...